I am constantly amazed at the wisdom of young people. This was shared with me recently, and with this young person’s permission, I am sharing it with you.
Through my life, I’ve learned a lot of things. Recently I’ve been contemplating a lot about what is important and what everyone should remind themselves of. So here are 16 beliefs/ideals I have. One for each year of my life!
1) Always ask questions. It helps you learn more, and more knowledge is always better.
2) Adults are your friends. In particular, your parents and teachers. They have been around a lot longer than you, and they are generally looking out for …you. One of my high school teachers has become someone who I consider a great friend, and someone I want to stay in touch with after high school.
3) Family is extremely important. At the end of the day, they are the ones who will catch you when you fall.
4) Honesty really is the best policy. Don’t get piled under tons of lies that could eventually cause you to collapse. Be honest, even when you make a mistake. In the long run, people will respect you.
5) High school is only 4 years of your life! (Special thanks to my dad for always drilling this into my brain) All of the seemingly important events and drama won’t be so important 10 years from now. Enjoy as much of it as you can, but don’t stress about it.
6) Find people who truly love you for you. Don’t stick around with friends who don’t have your back. Find the people you enjoy spending time with and who enjoy spending time with you. Even if this means you only have a couple good friends, it’s better than a sea of fake ones.
7) Be yourself! This may be a huge cliché, but I really mean it. Don’t try to be someone you’re not! You were created the way you are for a reason and you’re awesome because of it!
8) School is your friend. Try your best and try and enjoy at least some of it. Once you’re in the work force, you’ll miss learning every day.
9) Take care of yourself. Give yourself what you need. Be nice to your body and mind because they are the only ones you get.
10) Take a risk every once in awhile. Put yourself out there, get out of your comfort zone. If you make a mistake, oh well! That’s what life is about.
11) Forgive, but don’t forget.
12) Don’t overwork yourself, but don’t be lazy. Stay motivated in some area.
13) Laugh it off, life is short. If you can’t laugh at yourself, what are you doing?
14) It’s okay to cry. Let the tears flow, you’ll feel better afterwards.
15) Don’t be afraid to ask for help. It’s not possible to do everything correctly on your own.
16) Have fun! Try your best to live life to the fullest and do what makes you happy! You only get one life to live, so live it as best as possible!